...like well over a month and quickly approaching two.
Suffice it to say that life is not exactly "ideal" right now. It seems that just when you think things are right where you want them, when your work life and your home life seem to have reached a point of synergy and all is working toward the betterment all men, then LIFE hits you with a big WHAMMO, takes you by the scruff of the neck, and screams in your ear, "NOT. SO. FAST. LITTLE. LADY." And that is where life is right now for me.
There HAVE been some pretty awesome things that occurred during the past few weeks. The GERMinator completed his second 70.3 at Ironman August in late September. He did it by taking off a pretty stellar 51 minutes from his previous time, and I know that he will only continue to amaze me with what he is able to do. Unfortunately, because of LIFE, I was unable to join him in Augusta, which pretty much killed me. We trained so much together, running and cycling so many miles together this summer, that I truly wanted to be there on race day to cheer him on through the final miles of hard effort on the journey. I'm so proud of him for taking on the beast on his own, facing it down, and beating it into submission. He. Is. Awesome.
Although LIFE also made the last few weeks of this year's cross country season pretty terrible logistically, I had a great season getting to know some great kids, parents, and a new assistant coach. When LIFE steps in and forces you to put certain responsibilities on the back burner, it's pretty amazing to see how people pull together to help you. I didn't really expect it to happen here, but I was overwhelmed that it did. Being from a small town my entire life, I absolutely know what it is like to have the troops rally around you, pick you up, and say, "Get back in the game! We've got your back!" I didn't expect to experience the same sense of community and support here in Atlanta where I have no "people" of my own. Over the last few weeks I've learned that I do indeed have a few "people" of my own down here. After two years, that's a great feeling to have....
I've also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time back home in Indiana, dealing with LIFE, but also having the chance to run with friends again. I've needed to take a lot of frustration and anger out on the road, and each weekend I've needed to distance myself from LIFE, I've had a friend right there to either run (or ride) beside me. I've had friends change their schedules to be sure I had someone with me to listen or just share the time.
LIFE isn't done with me yet, that is for sure. As I type, I know that the next few months will be just as challenging as the past few months have been. That's not a fun place to be, but LIFE doesn't care what you think is fun, does it? I do know one thing for sure: LIFE, however crappy, cruddy, and downright miserable it can be, is a gift from God. Each and every day of it. Don't take it for granted, and enjoy it all you can.
See you on the road...

Suffice it to say that life is not exactly "ideal" right now. It seems that just when you think things are right where you want them, when your work life and your home life seem to have reached a point of synergy and all is working toward the betterment all men, then LIFE hits you with a big WHAMMO, takes you by the scruff of the neck, and screams in your ear, "NOT. SO. FAST. LITTLE. LADY." And that is where life is right now for me.
There HAVE been some pretty awesome things that occurred during the past few weeks. The GERMinator completed his second 70.3 at Ironman August in late September. He did it by taking off a pretty stellar 51 minutes from his previous time, and I know that he will only continue to amaze me with what he is able to do. Unfortunately, because of LIFE, I was unable to join him in Augusta, which pretty much killed me. We trained so much together, running and cycling so many miles together this summer, that I truly wanted to be there on race day to cheer him on through the final miles of hard effort on the journey. I'm so proud of him for taking on the beast on his own, facing it down, and beating it into submission. He. Is. Awesome.
Although LIFE also made the last few weeks of this year's cross country season pretty terrible logistically, I had a great season getting to know some great kids, parents, and a new assistant coach. When LIFE steps in and forces you to put certain responsibilities on the back burner, it's pretty amazing to see how people pull together to help you. I didn't really expect it to happen here, but I was overwhelmed that it did. Being from a small town my entire life, I absolutely know what it is like to have the troops rally around you, pick you up, and say, "Get back in the game! We've got your back!" I didn't expect to experience the same sense of community and support here in Atlanta where I have no "people" of my own. Over the last few weeks I've learned that I do indeed have a few "people" of my own down here. After two years, that's a great feeling to have....
I've also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time back home in Indiana, dealing with LIFE, but also having the chance to run with friends again. I've needed to take a lot of frustration and anger out on the road, and each weekend I've needed to distance myself from LIFE, I've had a friend right there to either run (or ride) beside me. I've had friends change their schedules to be sure I had someone with me to listen or just share the time.
LIFE isn't done with me yet, that is for sure. As I type, I know that the next few months will be just as challenging as the past few months have been. That's not a fun place to be, but LIFE doesn't care what you think is fun, does it? I do know one thing for sure: LIFE, however crappy, cruddy, and downright miserable it can be, is a gift from God. Each and every day of it. Don't take it for granted, and enjoy it all you can.
See you on the road...

No comments:
Post a Comment